} -->

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Ridgid Model MS1290LZA 12" Sliding Compound Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Adjustable Laser


I purchased a Ridgid 12" Sliding Compound Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Adjustable Laser online from HomeDepot for 399.00. I was on the fence with buying the 10 inch or the 12 inch. I went with the 12 inch because I could do a lot more with it then the smaller saw.

Ridgid Model MS1290LZA 12" Sliding Compound Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Adjustable Laser
Ridgid Model MS1290LZA 12" Sliding Compound Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Adjustable Laser 

I was so excited when it arrived. The reason I was so excited was that I had a Craftsman 10 inch single bevel compound saw for about 3 years and could barely cut anything bigger then a 2x4 a 90 degrees. Now don't get me wrong the Craftsman did do a lot of work but I was very limited on what I could do. I know a lot of people use a table saw to make cross cuts and I could too but my table saw is a 10 inch saw with only a 12 inch table and I was very limited on that saw as well. I love the convenience of a miter saw and was in need of a serious upgrade. 

So after getting the saw I realized that my stand for my other saw was too small and with the limited space I have at the moment I needed a fairly inexpensive but decent stand. I will eventually build a miter saw stand after I build our new storage shed to free up the garage So that day I went to HomeDepot and purchased the Ridged Model # AC9945 Mobile Miter Saw Stand. It was worth the 149.00 that I payed for it. Eventually I will mount something else when the miter saw stand is made but for now its used only for the miter saw. You don't need the stand if you feel like lugging around this behemoth but I would advise making a stand or purchasing this one.

Ridgid Model MS1290LZA 12" Sliding Compound Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Adjustable Laser
Ridged Model # AC9945 Mobile Miter Saw Stand

I have only been using it for about a month as a chop saw to make a few cuts here and there. Last week I was setting up to cut a few pieces of plywood that were 9 ½ x 20 inches and when i made my sliding cut I realized it cut at an angle. I checked it again and got the same cut. I checked to make sure the blade was square to the fence while it was fully extended and it was. I then slide it back to the fence and noticed as the saw slid forward to the fence it was moving away from the square. I resulted to my owner’s manual and checked online and could not find out if there was something that I could adjust that was not in the owners manual. Here is what it was doing.

Ridgid Model MS1290LZA 12" Sliding Compound Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Adjustable Laser
Defect in the Cylinder

I thought the saw had a defect so I returned it to The HomeDepot here in Topeka and exchanged it for a new one. Once I got home I opened up the new saw and before mounting it to my stand I checked to make sure the new saw did not have the same problem. To my surprise it was doing the same thing. Im asking myself what could be wrong with this? What is there that I could do to correct this issue? I scoured the internet. I read forums, reviews, Tutorials on how to square up a blade and barely found anything that could help me. Now this is Sunday night and I don't have to be at work until Monday night since I was working the night shift that week. I probably spent a total of 13 hours working on the saw and searching on the internet. I finally came across a forum where someone was having the same problem and he ended up going through 4 saws before getting one that was problem free.

I waited till 7am when Ridgid opened up and gave them a call. I was connected with one of their Tech reps and I think his name was Dave. I explained to him the problem and that I was now on my second saw. He immediately knew what was wrong with it and said that it was a known problem but only with a few saws. I happened to be one of the Lucky ones to get 2 saws with the same problem. I was relieved to here that it was a known issue because it makes it easier to exchange items. The problem is in the cylinder on the right side. There is a slight angle in the cast causing the the saw to drift to the right. 

I returned the 2nd saw on Friday evening and before leaving the store I made sure the next saw was defect free and it was but I was anticipating on going through all 6 of their saws they had in stock (HAHA).

The new saw is working like a champ and I am very pleased with the all around service that I received from both Ridgid and Home Depot.

Ridgid Model MS1290LZA 12" Sliding Compound Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Adjustable Laser

Ridgid Model MS1290LZA 12" Sliding Compound Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Adjustable Laser

Ridgid Model MS1290LZA 12" Sliding Compound Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Adjustable Laser