} -->

Friday, October 31, 2014

Shop made Bar clamps


This post goes along with my Clamps and the question of how many clamps should one have in their shop? I mentioned that I was building my own Bar clamps as well as purchasing them from the store. Well here is the videos of where I got my Idea as well as the plans to both a Bar/Pipe clamp and a Parallel clamp. They were only two dollars each and well worth it in my opinion. You can purchase these plans from his Website. This is not necessarily a tutorial but its showing that anyone can build these. I am not completely done with them but I am very close. 


Shop made Bar/Pipe clamp

Shop made Parallel clamp 

Here is a picture of some of the tools that I used. I also used a Drill, Drill Press, Table saw, Miter Saw, Combination sander and Band saw. 

Shop made Bar clamps

I spent some time trying to find the pipe to use for my clamps. I ended up finding it at Menards for around $10.00. The outer diameter is roughly 29/32.

Shop made Bar clamps

Every store but 1 that I went too was out of this threaded rod. I found it at Sutherland's for $17.00
Shop made Bar clamps

The hardest parts for me to get were these little brackets and I have yet to get the grips for the handles. Luckily I had a co-worker who has a metal shop at his house. I only needed 4 but I had him cut me a total of 12 so I can eventually build some more clamps. As for the grips which you can see in his video, I have not purchased yet.

Shop made Bar clamps

You will need lock nuts and standard nuts. The washers I purchased at first were a bit small so I purchased more that were a bit bigger in the outer diameter.

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps

Shop made Bar clamps