} -->

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Workbench and the question whether to build or buy.

Have you found yourself contemplating on whether you should build a work bench or buy one from a store? For the longest time I have asked myself that same question. At my old house we had a detached two car garage. It was 24' x 24' and I had a lot of room. However I had a few thrown together benches. They were made of old cabinets for the base with an old counter top for the top. So at the time I really did not need to either build or buy another one because I was not doing much to need another one. However I really did want a bench that I could pull in and out of the garage depending on the weather.

After our moving into our new home I was limited on space as the new garage was a tad bit smaller yet it was a two car garage. There was a single work bench that on the back wall and was very small. It was used by the previous owner for working on his multiple cars. For what I needed it for it was way too small. So I shopped around looking for a bench or some ideas. After looking at various benches and searching the internet I decided to build my own. So after deciding to build my own I thought how I was going to build it. I have seen people build their benches around their tools that they have. I saw one where the guy built his small table saw into the bench. I thought this was a very good idea but I was also thinking ahead that if I decide to buy a professional table saw then this would not work. If I was going to spend any money I would want it to where I would not have to change anything in the future or have to build a separate bench.

So it was around my birthday (August 20th) that my wife asked what I wanted for my birthday. I told her not to buy anything that if I could, buy the material to build myself a workbench. She said yeah since that is what I wanted and needed.

So off to Home Depot I went with my tape measure. As I am looking I am building the bench in my head. That’s right I did not do any planning or drawing of the bench beforehand. I decide to build a very solid bench top by taking 2x4’s and screwing them together on the wide side. I then decided how big I want it. I went with a 3 foot by 6 foot top. So I measured it out and I would need 24 – 2x4’s to make it 3 foot wide. For the outer box I went with a 2x8. So for the top I needed 22 – 2x4’s and 2 – 2x8’s. I wanted the legs to be heavy duty so instead of the 4x4’s I used 4x6’s. I was hesitant on what type of wood and since they only had 4x6 treated I went with that. While thinking of the legs I wanted it to be mobile so I purchased casters and went with 4 – swivel 250 lb rated casters. To mount the casters I used 4 inch lag bolts. I also purchased other 2x4’s for the bottom braces and bought 3 inch coated star bit deck screws for assembling the bench.

Workbench and the question whether to build or buy

Workbench and the question whether to build or buyWorkbench and the question whether to build or buy


Assembling to a few days because of work and other activities. I ripped 3/16 of inch off of each 2x4 to give it a flat top then proceeded to assemble everything. What took the longest was the bench top. Ripping each board down and screwing them together was roughly a few hours. I had to make sure each board was flush before screwing it down. After I was done I forgot about the bottom shelf. So my plan was to go buy a sheet of plywood the following weekend for the bottom. Well the weekend came and I decided to use the paneling that we pulled out of a hallway. I had cut it up in 2’x4’ pieces to put in the trash. I figured why not use this as the bottom and save myself some money and I would also be recycling.  

Workbench and the question whether to build or buy

All of the materials besides the bottom shelf was $203.00 with tax. The casters were $45.00, Deck screws were $35.00 and the wood was the remainder. I do not have any other pictures of the bench prior to putting everything on it. 

Workbench and the question whether to build or buy

Workbench and the question whether to build or buy

I have added some extras to the bench over the past few months. Things That I have added were a File holder, Beer holder, Pencil holder, Power strip, Dowel rod holder. I also added screws to hang my Squares, Hammer, Drill, Push block, Miter gauge for Band Saw and Tool pouch. I am sure over time this bench will be changed with accessories, but for now I am happy with what I have accomplished. 

Workbench and the question whether to build or buy

Workbench and the question whether to build or buy
Accessories to bench

So for those of you who are deciding whether to build or buy. I would suggest to build it as you have the ability to build it the way you want and you the get the satisfaction of the overall outcome.